Will my pet set off my Alarm System?
Pets are safe from false alarms with SECUR-U in Milton, Oakville, Burlington, Georgetown
You can have pets with our SECUR-U security alarms, our DSC wireless motion detector (model #WS4904PW) and hardwired motion detector (model # BV-300DP) feature pet immunity up to 60 lbs which is a combined weight of all animals.
Being an animal lover myself, our family includes a sturdy chocolate Lab that weights more than 60 lbs and I have installed many motion detectors protecting the interior of our home, but saying that because of the size of our four legged friend we must remember to arm our security system in the stay mode whenever our dog is home to bypass the motion detectors in our residential security alarm or a false alarm will occur. We chose to install the motion detectors so that we would have added protection to our house when our dog or family members are not there.
Specifications from the DSC manufacturer:
The Digital Bravo3P PIR detector is specifically designed to provide optimum catch performance
and enhanced false alarm prevention in environments containing pets. It utilizes digital technology, a microprocessor, Multi Level Signal Processing (MLSP)*, dual operating parameters, automatic temperature compensation and a unique pet rejection lens to provide effective and reliable detection of human motion and good protection against nuisance alarm associated with pets weighing up to 60lbs (27.3kg).
The detector also provides excellent immunity to such false alarm producing influences as RF, static and electrical transient. This technology, plus exceptional design care and careful factory testing, ensure years of trouble free performance.
Where should I locate the motion detector for best coverage?
Select a detector location that will provide the coverage required and will allow the detector to be mounted a minimum of 6.5ft high and not higher than 10ft (7.5ft recommended). Consider the following to avoid false alarms:
• Do not aim the detector at a stairway which a pet has access to. Do not place furniture or objects higher than 3 ft, which a pet can climb onto (e.g. a cat on a couch), closer than 6 ft to the detector.
• Mount the detector flat on a wall or in a corner. Do not angle it downwards or use mounting brackets with this detector.
• Do not aim the detector at reflective surfaces such as mirrors or windows as this may distort the coverage pattern or reflect sunlight directly onto the detector.
• Avoid locations that are subject to direct high air flow such as near an air duct outlet.
• Do not locate the detector near sources of moisture such as steam or oil.
• Do not locate the detector in the path of direct or reflected (mirror) sunlight.
• Do not limit the coverage by having large obstructions in the detection area, such as plants or cabinets.